Admissions Requirements for Doctor of Acupuncture (DAc) and Doctor of Oriental Medicine (DOM) Programs
1) Satisfactory completion of at least three years (90 semester credits/135 quarter credits) undergraduate level education from an institution accredited or pre-accredited by an agency recognized by the US department of Education.
- A. Degrees earned outside of the US, issued by an institution not recognized by the department of education must be translated and evaluated by an agency recognized by NACES (National association of Credential Evaluation Services) or AICE (Association of International Credential Evaluators, Inc.). VUIM offers a service for a fee through FIS (Foundation for International Services, Inc.), a member of NACES.
- B. Completion of undergraduate level Chemistry, Biology and Psychology courses. If not complete, the student will be required to take graduate level courses in Chemistry, Biology and Psychology at VUIM
2) Completed application for admission.
3) Application fee
4) English language proficiency:
1.The student must have completed a two-year (60 semester credits or 90 quarter credits) baccalaureate- or graduate-level, English-based education in an institution: a)accredited by an agency recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education, or b)in the United Kingdom, Australia, Canada (except Quebec), New Zealand, or Ireland.In all cases, English must have been both the language of instruction and the language of the curriculum used;
2.Test of English as a Foreign Language Internet-Based Test (TOEFL® iBT) Acceptable scores: TOEFL iBT total score – 80 or above
3.International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Acceptable scores: IELTS overall band score of 6.5 (Academic Format) or above
5) Submission of Official transcripts from all institutions for which a degree was earned. Transcripts must be received in a sealed envelope or directly from the institution in a secure digital format. Students will be required to submit official transcripts from all other institutions from which academic credit was earned if the student intends to request transfer of credit.
6) 300 – 700 word essay – “What inspired you to pursue a career in acupuncture and/or Oriental medicine?”
8) Photo ID
Admissions Requirements for DAc and DOM Degree completion students
The PD completion track is designed for the individual who has graduated from an ACAOM accredited/pre-accredited Master’s level program. Students who enter this track complete the remaining doctoral program requirements not included in their master’s level training.
1. The applicant must meet all of the admissions requirements outlined above.
2. The applicant must have satisfactorily completed master’s degree or master’s level program in Acupuncture/ Oriental Medicine from an ACAOM accredited/pre-accredited program or institution.
3. If the applicant is not a VUIM Alum or is a VUIM alum who graduated more than 5 years ago, a comprehensive transcript analysis must be completed by the Academic Dean and demonstrate that all applicable master’s level AOM coursework completed is equivalent to VUIM’s MSA or MSOM degree requirements in terms of content, rigor, and credit hour requirements. There is a $400 fee for this evaluation. The results of this review may require the student to complete coursework at VUIM at the Masters’ level.
See Transfer of Credit and Exemption policy for more information: Advanced Standing.